Capitan Municipal Schools
To Lead, Educate, and Prepare All Students
View of school and sky

Region 9 Services

There are so many benefits and services available to us! See how Region 9 serves you.

Student Services

School-Based Health Center 

The SBHC provides free health care to all students! Visit our health center located at Ruidoso High School, in the portable by the auxiliary gym. To set an appointment, please call (575) 630-7974 or visit the SBHC website.

Healthcare services include:

  • Sports physicals and well checks
  • Sick visits
  • Confidential physical health care by visiting with Linda Owen, CFNP. She is available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Confidential mental health care by talking with an SBHC counselor

Staff Information

School-Based Health Center

  • What is the R9 School-Based Health Center?
    • Free medical clinic for students.
    • Offers mental health and physical health care at school so students have access to the care they need without missing a lot of class time. 

  • What can a student be seen for at the SBHC?
    • Physical health care includes sick visits, well checks, and sports physicals. Parental consent for these visits is required. Other care opportunities include pregnancy tests, STI tests, and family planning. For these visits, parental consent is not required.
    • Mental health care includes substance use counseling and groups, anxiety, depression, trauma, and other mental health or adjustment issues.
  • Will a counselor come to the school to provide care to my students?
    • Yes, our counselors and social workers can travel to each school to provide services (RHS students come out to the clinic on campus)
  • Can a student be seen even if they aren’t in school that day or the provider is not at the school that day?
    • Yes, telemedicine is available for both physical and mental health visits. Talk with your school’s nurse or counselor or give us a call.
  • Can I refer a student for mental health concerns?
    • Yes, refer a student by filling out a referral form on the SBHC website.
  • Can staff at SBHC talk to my class about a mental or physical health issue?
    • Yes, our providers are happy to give a classroom presentation or lesson on any health issues that are of concern to you.
  • Can I receive care at the R9 SBHC?
    • Yes, school staff can receive physical health care with the nurse practitioner for a $30 fee.

For more information about SBHC and our providers, check out our Teacher Guide.